Monday, May 21, 2012

first week

My first week here, so much coming at me and still a bit of jet lag (we are 8 hours ahead of cdt).  I got in around 10 pm last Sunday, the 13th.  They put me up in a lovely hotel for the first 2 nights. Somewhere along the way I lost most of Saturday and Sunday sitting scrunched in economy class all the way. Always comfortable, even more so for about 20 hours. 
 I expected Monday to be an off day, catch up on sleep, do nothing. I was wrong. I was picked up around 8:30 to attend a staff meeting so I could meet folks. Could hardly keep my eyes open. Got back to the hotel around noon and can't even recall what I did.

I guess I went for a walk towards the Indian Ocean a few blocks away.  I have not felt concerned or scared walking in a city in a long time, but here I did feel nervous, I was the only white person and a woman--a big lesson for me, this whole trip is but this was the first one--what does it feel like when you know no one around you looks like you? The streets are crazy busy, cars, bicycles, walkers, people selling fruit, shoes, belts, electronics, you name it; pushing wagons, carrying large packs on their heads, people hanging out talking. Not really any sidewalks so I walk along the road in dirt and mud (rain on and off, still rainy season) but I have to watch in front of me for people, cars, bikes, etc. but I also have to watch on both sides--cars park perpendicular to buildings and inch out backwards into traffic and I have to watch behind me and at the ground, clay, which has mud, puddles, rocks, tree roots, bumps.

A couple of kids asked for money, I said "no" pleasantly and kept walking, they followed my, closer, and one suddenly....reached out and touched my hair and ran off.  Hmm. One man asked for money, I was taking some photos so I turned to walk away while putting my camera away (little point/shoot) he reached out to touch my wrist. I  said "no" more firmly but also added the noise I give to the dogs when they are doing something bad--"uh uh"(or close) and he stepped away immediately. I continued, there was a bunch of kids sitting under a tree. We said hello, as I walked on one ran up behind me and touched my hair, then ran back, everyone giggling.  I hadn't realized it, I've no seen anyone with hair like mine, the kids just wanted to touch it, feel what it's like.

So many challenges-seeing how poor so many people are while there are many wealthier, the smells of spices from little grill restaurants put together with corrugated roofs, plastic chairs (see photo from hotel window, that's the roof of one.  New accents, both sides in conversations have challenges. But also--beautiful Indian Ocean with waves, greens, turquoise, blues; skies are so blue then covered quickly in dark clouds of rain. But it is always hot.
from hotel window

from hotel window


Indian Ocean, there's a road here and the photo was not worth risking my life to get a closer shot

hotel room...very different from what you'd expect from photos above

No comments:

Post a Comment