Wednesday, May 23, 2012

May 23

Karibu! (welcome)
Anyone see anything wrong with a dinner of fresh pineapple, slices of gouda cheese, a dried out croissant, and red wine? Nope, I thought you'd agree, perfectly fine. Stopped at a small market on the way home, must remember to not try the baked goods again. But they did have wine. One of the gifts here is I get to have South African wines. yum.

Aside from the African music videos (remember, the dancing. Today I tried to copy Elaine's dancing from Seinfeld. Harder than you would think), I don't get a big variety of satellite tv stations unless I buy more. So, I've come to watch BBC entertainment, dinner with The Weakest Link and So You Want to be a Millionaire Brit versions. The WL woman is a trip, quite rude to the contestants and very dry humor. The most entertaining thing so far was on the Millionaire, the question was "what was another name for Indians that colonists used" or some such. The answer?  Ha! Red Indians. uhhh, nope, that would be red skins.

A bit about work--some things on my work plan: learn the process for accreditation in Tanzania & Zanzibar, develop and disseminate a survey to identify  current faculty experience, knowledge, degrees, etc. Then analyze, write a report on findings, and use info to draft a plan for the quicky MSW program for them, Get the needs assessments that have not been turned in yet, "analyze" and write reports. They wanted a draft of guidelines for field manuals but, since no one seems to be understanding it, I think I have to back up and develop some sort of needs assessment for students, faculty, and field instructors to find out what they know and what they do. Then, perhaps start with a workshop on the importance of field, then start a draft, perhaps with faculty. Oh, and yes, something about a teacher evaluation tool for assessing their work. Don't know if this is for admin or students. Then--wait! wait! consult with schools developing curricula (at least 4 schools already did this), but since there is a gap in how the curricula relate to what actually transpires in a class, I'll be working on syllabi, again maybe a training/retreat where faculty split into groups to develop syllabi.  Before this, however, we may have to do a syllabus workshop-what is it,what for, etc.   Three months eh?  This may be the start of a beautiful relationship, we will be extending the work plan for as long as needed -6 months, 6 years, who knows. Someone asked yesterday if I can stay, maybe even teach this fall. hmm. no. But it looks like project mentors come for several weeks at a time, during school breaks. That could work--winter in Tanzania rather than northern Iowa? Let me think...ok!  Cindy, if you are reading this--the UNAIDS rep wants "someone" to do real research on the impact on kids and children's welfare of having social workers in the country. hmm. thought of you immediately. 

Ok, 'nuff work. Today's photo, guess what it is:


very white samosas? nope
illegal substance? nope
those nice little hot towels they give in restaurants? nope.

give up?  ok. This is what the housekeeper did with my grocery bags. I had them stuffed one into another in the closet, a big bag holding all the others. She took them out of the closet, folded them this way, placed them on an old frying pan and into the kitchen cabinet. I kept saying "no" "not necessary", she laughed at me. It's her job. 

good night, good day whatever is appropriate.
Asante sana--thank you very much; for reading.


4 comments:

  1. Love your posts!! I'm so envious of you (in the good way!)! Thanks for the pix, too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jesse, and thanks for following. It is certainly an adventure and I'm glad to be able to share it with friends. It is a bit isolating here so it really helps to be in touch with friends in any way.

      Delete
  2. You sound very busy, however, I can't feel too sorry for you because of where you are:) Please let them know I would be interested in the research. It sounds interesting.

    I enjoy the photos; keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, somehow missed this comment (thanks, it makes me feel I'm actually communicating with folks). The schools here are desperately looking for actual PhD social workers and MSWs who would teach, help organize the programs, etc etc. There is that funding thing though, I haven't figured that part out yet. They want people but would they pay? One university, the Open University of Tanzania (not the same one as the world wide one, this is their only location) advertised for exchange programs with universities in the US to bring faculty in, but I don't know if there is $ involved. At least one new MSW program wants a PhD to run it :-). They'll take an MSW to temporarily get it started.

    ReplyDelete