Thursday, May 3, 2012

Number One

I'm using this as a journal for my trip to Tanzania. I'm leaving on May 12 for about 3 months to work with schools of social work as a program mentor, assisting in strengthening social work degrees in the country.  I will be living in Dar es Salaam and working with the American International Health Alliance. Check them out at http://www.aiha.com/  There may be volunteer opportunities of interest for you.

Today is Thursday May 3rd and I am still awaiting my flight confirmations. And I did ask for photos or address of my living quarters. I can then find it on google maps at least.  I will learn greater patience-lesson 1.  I signed the contract about a month ago and communication is slower than what would be comfortable for me. In the meantime, I wander around stores wondering what I should pack and what I need to buy.  I'm an over-packer. Always have been, and now I'm to pack the lightest possible for 3 months. Oy. I will have to practice pack this weekend-only way to save some time. I read a recommendation online for long trips-to have one outfit to wear, one in the laundry, and one clean-in-waiting.  I think that means I would just have 3 outfits for 3 months. A challenge for a woman with US privileges, my 2nd lesson--how little do I really change up clothes at home even with a closet full? Not much, the same comfortable quick clean clothes cycle around most often.

Slowly, step by step...

No comments:

Post a Comment