Monday, June 11, 2012

there is no such thing as "on time" in Dar

students? dancers?
bride
Well, to finish after the car adventure on Saturday, we made it to the wedding, figured we would have missed at least most of the ceremony, figured priests and the higher power must start on time (hmmm cause they are usually white? what was I thinking?). But nooooo, we were about 1 hour late and nothing started yet. then we waited more. Finally, it started. The priests spoke Swahili which means I didn't understand but of course, I wouldn't have understood Latin either. It was at a Catholic high school and I think it was the student choir who sang. Now that was fun, I didn't understand, didn't care, didn't even care they were likely psalms. They sounded great, had a great rhythm, moved to the music, sounded and looked joyous.  Made up for the priests going on and on and on.  Differences from US weddings I've been to? Movement Music and Joy. Yes various ethnic groups here are joyous but this was everyone-old ladies and men, kids, everyone walks out of the church in front of the couple. Well not walk, a little dance step step step side side side step and the trilling sound like I thought I learned a bit in belly dancing the lalalal really high but this was different. Women, all ages, and their tongues were spinning in circles in their mouths, incredible. My ears hurt, the hearing aids crackled. Then we wait outside in the dining dancing set up area and they are all stepping out around the couple bringing them to the reception.  We did not stay much longer, we had told the driver to pick us up at 4:30 figuring we'd be there for the ceremony and 1-2 hours of celebration. Nope. Things were now almost 2 hours past the schedule so we missed the food and dancing and entertainment. shucks. Here's pictures 

mom & baby in church

dancing and singing (lalalala) after the ceremony

he was the ring bearer

she was great, ran around the church, stopped and danced as soon as the music started

dancing/stepping in front of the church

the princess and the dancing queen

accompanying the bride and groom, dancing them to the reception

bride and groom dancing into the reception

2 comments:

  1. Do you mind if I post some of your pictures to our website? I love the one of the mother and baby. If you ever need a second job, you might consider photography:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. why thank you. with the economy and higher education, I might have to consider it as a primary job :-) For the dept website? Ok. I thought you may have meant the street photos. I showed Nakaka, the groom the @70 photos I took and he was thrilled, I'm glad I was able to give them a gift. I've got a couple more from the wedding I'll post including my favorite.

    ReplyDelete