Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Tuesday afternoon...

I woke up this morning to no electricity, I realized it went off sometime last night. This means the hot water heater is off too so I was set to wet my hair and do a very quick clean of parts of me. There was still hot water so I felt lucky, more so because by the time I was done, water was down to a dribble. The guards re-set the breaker and all was on again. Then off. Then on. And it was just my little house not anyone else. I went into the office, spent several hours doing searches on teaching people how to put together syllabi and make class schedules when you have no textbooks (hmm. challenge). Got home and they were working on the electrical system, said my electric went on/off all day. It's nice now, comfy and I can cook. Remember-even if you have a gas stove, if it has an electric starter it won't want to light. And I guess they have electric water pumps.

There has been a water crisis in Dar, ours was "getting low" according to Bridget (landlady not dog) and the staff may have to start washing clothes by hand in buckets. I have seen women doing this on the roadside in front of compounds and in front of their homes. I had another privilege moment-people I'm working with have had no water for days, the driver 5 days which means there are others in the office in the same predicament. Then I tried filling up my water bottle in the office, there was none. Then a co-worker said he and his wife eat out too much but he will buy gas for the stove at the end of the month. It is one thing to hear about the everyday "inconveniences" like electric going out or water stopping, it is another to live with it. I am lucky with so much at home, and even here where I get to live. 

Here is another neighbor who met me on the path to my door. Ick. The owner said no matter how many they kill there are always more. hmm. not only couldn't I stand doing it, I'd hate to see a dead smashed one.  Big, very big. maybe 3 inches, I was able to see a bit of grass it was "chewing" on. I prefer the lizards and definitely the birds.




No comments:

Post a Comment