Friday, June 1, 2012

Friday June 1

Yesterday was one of those that things did not go so well. The regular contracted driver sent a "friend" to pick me up. So it was a regular taxi, which the landlady prefers not to have come in the gates. We did not understand each other at all. He drifted a bit into the right lane to start, then quickly got back to the left. Then he gets to a point downtown where he tries asking me where to go, I saw a Barclay's bank on the left that we pass normally, I pointed left, said turn left here, repeated the street--"Ohio" (pretty amusing I know). He said "right right" and continued on. Then he asked again. I said I don't know where we are, I don't know how to get there but it's skyway building I need. He pulled in in a parking lot next to a building and said "here".  It's pouring as well. I said "call Rama" since he was not understanding anything I said I figured Rama is the regular driver is the guy who hired him. Ok, that didn't work so I called Rama and gave the guy my phone to talk with him. Lots of Swahili, I get the phone back and he gets out of the car. And I'm sitting there. I called Rama who tells me to wait, the guy is asking other drivers parked there. He gets back in the car, says something like "ok?".  Sure, got no idea where I am thought I do know I'm in the vicinity. Ok, he finally finds the street, smiles at me, ok?ok? Sure. So he is on the left (correct) but I usually get dropped off on the right side on the corner.  I say, if it's safe I will get out here. He says...ok, and unlocks the doors. But he is still moving so it's not ok is it? He pulls into the intersection, remember now they are on the Brit side, there are few green/red lights and none here, and there are pedestrians, cars backing out towards the side of our car, bicycles, motorcycles. He pulls into the 4 way intersection and does a u turn to get me to the right corner. sheesh. Then I am in the office and the modem thingy is hooked in, says I'm online, but I can't get anything. One guy is looking at my computer, knows something is not working right, but doesn't seem to know what or how. They take my modem to get charged, I think this will be 15 minutes. An hour later the guy has not left, then says it will take 20 minutes but the guy who took it left his phone there so they cannot reach him.  I've now had the other driver, Innocent, who has driven me before, waiting 30 minutes so I say I will get the modem tomorrow. We leave. I get to the house, ask Innocent about picking me up in the am, he doesn't seem sure I say I'll call Rama. Ok, all day I had the phone on my desk or in my pocket. Sure I stuck it in my pocket when leaving the office. Cannot find it. Maybe left it out on the desk? Could have fallen onto the back seat? I have no idea. Can I contact someone? Nope, no cell phone (I'm starting to really hate these things).

This adventure continues today, I cannot find the cell phone they gave me. Lucky it isn't an Iphone or even one of their blackberries, just a basic nokia.  I am sooo embarrassed. They do not want me to leave without a phone. Well that did not work for some reason so I left, they were going to deliver it.  It is now 7:40pm, no one has knocked. Ah, well we have a meeting tomorrow so maybe it will be at the office. Should be a good day, the group decided to show me around after we meet.

Today I had a chance to go to a supermarket, bought carrots (they get peeled) apples, which I will peel before eating, and these green peas that looked great. I washed these by hand in soapy water, steamed them with carrots and made rice. The closest to real cooking I've done outside of boiling water for pasta.
Which brings me to a question--we are not supposed to drink water, only bottled, we are not supposed to brush our teeth with sink water (which is quite a challenge, wasting water rinsing out the brush, remember not to put it under running water).  BUT, we shower, wash with sink water, and wash dishes with it. Does this make sense?  Ah well.

A photo of my sometime housemate on the ceiling; and a few "neighbors" in the trees and leaves. If I liked escargot before, which I didn't, but mom and dad did. I would never eat them again.


I think this may be a type of sun bird, bigger than a hummingbird, smaller than a sparrow. beautiful



This baby is about 1.5-2" in size, this is not much of a close up, about 2 feet away, safely inside the house.
It takes a village, 4 birds perhaps nest building but they hang out together. double date.


No comments:

Post a Comment