Thursday, July 12, 2012

Zanzibar faculty
another Zanzibar sunset


Feeling better today so I went to dinner with Saundra and Rick, her husband. Our last meal together here, they leave Saturday. So the last month of my stay is looking a bit more empty, but that's really for the weekends, gosh, does that mean I'm gonna end up shopping? oh my.

I bought some stuff to sterilize food, not trusting much water or any food right now--seems to be mostly bleach but the bottle says to use it for baby bottles and it's safe to not rinse off before giving it to babies. I washed the carrot with my germ x wipes then peeled it. I'm going to be more careful with everything, not just boiling water, all water will come from one bottle brand (here's to you coca cola, spoiling the land in Africa and making $$ off the people). I've also been taking doxycyclin that I bought here but I could not find the same brand/name on Mayo or webmd so I think I'm stopping that today, going back to just lotions which has worked well. I saw on Lonely Planet advice to only get Vibramycin which is doxy because the brand name non-generic from US is better, other countries haven't the same controls (even fewer??) on ingredients.

I'm much disturbed about the scam debacle in CF with that investment guy. It has actually made international news. I do feel bad for his employees. I wonder what his tactic was for marrying so close to suicide, surely not to leave insurance, doesn't suicide preclude the possibility of insurance? Anyway, what really pisses me off is My Verona closing. 1/2 price wine from 4-6 daily, those yummy breadsticks, and the role of the pizza section in my life as respite from work. Dang it!
In other news, Postville made it to the NY times today, long article about the ICE raid followed by discussion of the new population of legal refugees. Still making poor salaries, likely treated no better. And Mark Grey was interviewed. Why don't they ever talk to the people on the ground-the nuns and the social workers (tip of the had to William Deutsch, our graduate) who worked so hard with the aftermath. 

ok, need to try to sleep now

 some photos, sorry if I duplicate:

tingatinga art in an alley

No comments:

Post a Comment